Jan 7, 2009

The Days are Just Packed

So I finally invested in a decent digital camera. This is probably the perfect camera for me--an advanced point-and-shoot camera with great automatic settings but plenty of manual options I can use as I learn. In manual, I can change aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, and all the other stuff that people like Stevi use to make their shots look so nice, but the auto is smart, and has helped me take some crisp, clean shots. My big beef with the camera was that it was battery powered--I was actually so shocked and appalled when I learned this that I was going to take it back to the store--but I've come around. Picture this:

I'm out with all my sailing buddies, taking some great shots of our seafaring adventures, when my battery indicator starts blinking. My camera is all out of juice. In scenario #1-- I have to curse the stars as I scrub the poop deck--there's no way to charge a lithium ion battery on a schooner! In scenario #2, I'm made captain--I just pull a couple extra double A's from the emergency kit (or take a quick stop by the nearest wharf) and I'm back to capturing maritime memories. Count it.

So, as Stevi (who is actually a pretty decent photography teacher) fills me in on the finer points of my new purchase, I'll be blogging my photographic progress. Our first expedition is documented at the end of this post.

In other news, our big resolution is going pretty well. Thanks mostly toTrader Joe's and a little the fine people at Meijer (along with the recipe-writers at Real Simple and bigoven.com, we've been avoiding restaurants and making 3 meals a day. Yesterday included waffles and eggs, Havarti cheese, crackers, baguette and hummus, some serious meatloaf, steamed asparagus with mozzarella, and basil lemonade, the most excellent drink my lips have ever touched. Today? Eggs, home fries, leftover meatloaf, pasta carbonara, baked potatoes, and more basil lemonade. Seriously, when I get to heaven, I fully expect Mary Magdeline to hand me a glass of the stuff.

Also. Last night we got to see our friends in The Bears of Blue River play at Doc's Downtown. It was a smallish show, but nice, and they sounded good. The bartender was making some rum and cokes so stiff they emasculated me for $1 a pop (ha, ha). We were lame and left kind of early because we've been living the lazy life and really liking it.

For example, today I jumped on the Sopranos bandwagon, only about a decade after most of America. I'm four hours in and not completely enthralled, but I'm going to give it a few more episodes before I make my judgment.

Anyhow. Here are my preliminary attempts. I really, really hope I get better at this whole photography thing.






















2 Comments:

  1. Stevi said...
    you just get better and better, fishie.
    A lady. said...
    I think you have started splendidly. I wish I could be a good photographer too!

Post a Comment