Sep 11, 2009

Commitment

My fan mail used to be so diverse. Faithful readers would praise my recent work, send pictures of their pets doing crazy things, ask me for my egg salad recipe, but now it is all the same: we love what you write, but you really need to update more often.

Well, followers, I hear you. That's why I'm making a new covenant: I will update at least 3 times a week, or I will close this blog forever. If I'm not writing consistently, what's the point?

When I was younger, I'd write one or two longish entries a day, most of them about nothing. Those got more comments--and, honestly, were more interesting--than most of the stuff I'm producing now. I can get back to that. I've got to.

So, as a tribute to those something-out-of-nothing entries, here are five things about today.


1. I passed by a man on the street that smelled exactly like walking tacos. I was on my way to lunch, so my immediate impulse was to eat him. I did not. Good thing, too, because his shirt was covered in what looked like motor oil.


2. Remember the boff that yelled "you lie!" during our president's speech? It turns out he and his family have one-payer, government-run health care. Smooth move, Senator. The article goes on to say that he has called TRICARE (the stuff he gets) "a low cost, comprehensive health plan that is portable and available in some form world-wide." and "world class health care." He continues to hypocrite it up, saying "I am grateful to have four sons now serving in the military, and I know that their families appreciate the availability of TRICARE." Wow, you think? People like, you know, having their medical expenses covered? What a revelation. This guy is a pot.


3. I've been selling a few unneeded items on craigslist lately. This morning, an interested party sent me this email:

If I can pay in all cash, how low are you willing to go?

Here are the problems I have with this question:

-I seriously take issue with people who refuse to counter-offer. I already put a price on the thing; if you want to pay less, say what you can pay. Don't insult my intelligence.

-If he can pay in all cash? What does he think other buyers are offering, bags of grain? Half cash, half gaming tokens? Maybe I read too much into the tone, but it seemed like was trying to "cut me a deal" by offering to buy in American currency. What the hell.

-The ad said that the price I'd suggested was low. Significantly less than the item is worth. I responded that if he could pay soon, I'd take a little less than that. He responded with his offer: less than half of my second offer. I'm all for haggling, but this isn't a Moscow bazaar, guy. I advised him to take his cash (all of it) and put it somewhere private.


4. I am more and more thankful for my job every day. Recent graduates all over the place are taking pretty much any job they can snag, and here I have a salaried, not-too-difficult position that is somewhat in my field and also totally secure. It's also fun around 70% of the time. This place is a safe-haven for as long as I'd like it to be, and that rules.


5. I've been reading a lot today about different schooling styles. We're working on a story about free schools (in which students study basically whatever they like, and at whatever pace they choose, so I've been looking into all of it. I was shocked to find so many parents dissing the public school system. I'll paraphrase all of the arguments into one super-argument:

"No school is good enough for my child. (Some government person) has ruined all the schools here. Private schools are expensive and snobby. Homeschooling is the only good thing to do for your children!"

Listen, I don't have a problem with homeschooling in theory. But the fact is, it isn't so awesome in practice. Especially when they reach age 13 or so. Social interaction, teamwork, and dealing with the tough stuff like bullies and jerk teachers is what prepares you to succeed, not math by mom.

Can you name one person who was home-schooled K-12 and isn't "soft?" Me neither. To prove my point further, here is a list of "A-Z Homeschool Success Stories." I recognize only a handful of names on the list, and half of those handful were taught by private tutors. I hardly think that qualifies.

I think it shows some pretty serious arrogance when a parent thinks he or she can teach his/her kid better than a whole team of teachers and peers. Moms, dads, you're putting your kids at a serious disadvantage.


6. Hey, an extra item! Everyone in Indy go to Hoaglin's and get the "adult PB&J." Fresh-cut strawberries, ground peanuts, PB and preserves on whole-wheat, lightly toasted. Send thank-you notes to: theoriginalandrewclark {at} gmail {dot} com.

2 Comments:

  1. rachel said...
    I have a problem with homeschooling in both theory and practice. How many people do you know that home school their kids completely free of religious overtones? Not many. I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say none. Kids need to be exposed to things.
    And now I'm even more starving now that I read that PB&J description.
    Tyler Gobble said...
    I was just thinking to myself that I wish you would blog more. Good thing you took my unspoken advice.

    You should post things you are selling or links to craigslist on here. I'm always up for buying used things.

    As much as I wish you were still around Muncie to annoy and chat about books with, I'm happy you are enjoying the new job. Sounds good for you.

Post a Comment