Oct 17, 2009

Why they are Scientologists

A surprising number of celebrities are honest-to-goodness Scientologists. Since this "religion" is guano-crazy, I wanted to find out why. It took some digging, but I discovered the true reasons behind some of the more unbelievable conversions.





John Travolta


You may not know this, but Battlefield Earth is actually adapted from the first half of a book by L. Ron Hubbard. No lie. Problem is, Travolta was contractually obligated to star in Battlefield Earth 2: The Second Half. L. Ron told him the only way he could get out of making this movie, which could only be described as a "career-crucifier," was to convert. Travolta admitted defeat, not realizing that it was already too late.





Kirstie Alley


Similar situation, actually. Kirstie was drunk on Schnapps and ice tea the night she signed up to co-star with Travolta in Look Who's Talking. What she didn't realize is that is was an eleven-sequel commitment. That's right, eleven sequels to this. Kirstie woke up, hungover and freaking out. Luckily, Hubby (L. Ron's new nickname, not her Baywatch-directing husband) stepped in an offered to make the whole thing go away if she'd start going to his "church." The rest is history.





Jenna Elfman


It's a little-known fact, but Jenna Elfman is a serious method actor. She got into Scientology to prepare for her role as Dharma in the "hit" ABC series Dharma and Greg and has never got around to un-registering.





Giovanni Ribisi


Actually, he was tricked into it. What follows is the exchange:


Giovanni Ribisi: (Whistling a tune as he walks down a street)

L. Ron Hubbard in disguise as a friendly hippie-type: Yo Maa-an.

GR: Oh, oh hello. Hi. What, ah, what's going on my friend?

LRHIDAAFHT: Yo dude, I can get you like the highest you've ever been man. You'll love what I've got. Come back to my house with me.

GR: Oh, ah, see--I don't do drugs or anything. I'm clean, you know? Thank you, though, for the offer and everything, ah--

LRHIDAAFHT: Please man, you'll like it, come on.

GR: Well, ah, I guess I could ah, you know--come with you. I'm not gonna do any drugs but if you want to just hang out or whatever, you know, that would be okay.

LRHIDAAFHT: Yeah, come on to my house ma-an.

GR: Oh, ah, haha, OK.

Later

LRHIDAAFHT: Sign this or I will fucking kill you.

GR: (signs it, weeping.)





Jason Lee


He was bored, and he thought it would be funny.

2 Comments:

  1. rachel said...
    I can't speak intelligently about any of these except that I am pretty sure that the whole reason John Travolta made the first Battlefield Earth was because Hubbard had written it and Travolta had the strong desire to make one of his novels into a movie. He said it in an interview for the making of the first one. He, along with Cruise are pretty much the original crazies, no rhyme or reason.
    Ryan Rader said...
    "Jesus Christ Gil, there are just some things you don't about in public!"

    ...and that includes jason lee's scientology cred.

    Beck is also a scientologist, but i assume that is a big reason he doesn't suck. weird.

Post a Comment